Live Healthy Iowa Kids is a program of the Iowa Sports Foundation and is endorsed by the Iowa Governor's Council on Physical Fitness & Nutrition.Through the free programs they offer, Iowa youth are encouraged to be more active and learn about healthy food choices, all in a positive, fun way. For more information on the programs they offer read below or visit the Live Healthy Iowa Kids webpage.
Go The Distance Day: Friday, May 3, 2013
1,190 Woodbury County students particpated in Go the Distance Day 2012. Great job everyone!
What is go the Distance Day?
Get your students involved in an extra 30 minutes of activity on May 3rd (or anytime between 4/29-5/7) to represent the importance of physical activity
Why Take 30 minutes?
- 1 in 3 children in Iowa are overweight or obese
- Only 1 out of every 3 kids is active each day
- Opportunity to bring attention to the importance of activity
-Eligibility for cash prizes
Who wins the cash prizes?
All schools who report 100% participation will be entered into a random drawing to win one of five awards (1-$1,000 and 4-$500)
How do I register my school for Go the Distance Day?
1. Go to www.livehealthyiowakids.org
2. Click "Join Today"
3. On the right hand side of the page under "Start a Team", click submit
4. Enter the team captain information and the team information
- If you are a returning user, click the blue box that reads "Returning User"
- Team Information - you will be asked the following:
- Team Name
- Number of Kids
- School Name
- Grade Level
- School District
5. Click "Continue Registration"
6. Review your information and click "Confirm Registration"
7. Proceed to your dashboard and check the box by the participation agreement and hit "Submit"
8. You have registered your team!
We encourage schools to be creative when planning their physical activity. Some examples include: hiking at a local park, dancing, track and field events, or a community clean up.